Thursday 21 April 2011

Fabric Sourcing

I went around London looking for potential fabrics that could be used for both design one and design two. I found a lot of different varieties and colours for the top fabric for design two. I chose some black, red and gold/brown silks for potential fabrics for the jacket and the skirt. The choice would then be left to the designer as to which he prefers. 

I also found lots of different samples for the black muslin that could be used for the blouse and the black velvet that would be used for the lapels and cuffs. I decided to by some of this to use within my toile to create the look with different weights of fabric. 

However, I had great trouble looking for a silk and cashmere blend fabric. Every shop I went into looked at me like i was mad! I did find some samples of different potential fabrics that could be similar to the colour description but does not have the fibre content required. 

I wrote to the museum where design ones original dress is but unfortunately they refused to give me any images of the garment. This did not help me with looking for fabrics.

I did however find some great samples for cottons both plain and glazed for the lining of design one as well as some gorgeous lace that could be added to the chemise underneath the dress. 

Please see my work book for all the samples found in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment